Skip to main content

Marking Diaspora History of the Sephardic Jewry


Marking Diaspora History of the Sephardic Jewry
            The period from about 900 to 1200 brought forth a wealth of influential characters in the Jewish community. During this time, Christian Europe had a dark cloud over it, but civilization was flourishing in places like Muslim Spain. Two influential Jews of Muslim Spain in the 10th and 11th centuries were Hasdai ibn Shaprut and Samuel Ha-Nagid.
            A wealthy and learned Jew of Jaen, Spain had a son about the year 915. That son was Hasdai. Even in his youth, he learned Hebrew, Arabic and Latin. He had a strong interest in science and medicine that would lead him to become a physician. While he did not bear the title of vizier, he worked as physician for the calif ‘Abd al-Rahman III and ministered foreign affairs, as well. He was in strong support of the Jewish communities.  He sent riches to and corresponded with the heads of the dwindling Babylonian academies. Instrumental in moving Jewish scholarship to his home of Cordova, he established a school and appointed Moses ben Enoch from one of these academies, but now in Cordova, to serve as the school’s director. He was a scholar honored by other scholars of the time. As the study of poetry and grammar become more in vogue for Spanish Jewry during his time, he excelled in them. The date of his death is unclear. He seems to have died perhaps 970 or 990 in Cordova, Spain.
            Shortly after Hasdai passed on, 993 Cordova saw the birth of a Jewish man who would later become one of the most influential men of Spain. A native of Merida, Samuel’s father saw to it that his son should receive a thorough education of both rabbinical and secular studies. His rabbinical studies were under Enoch, son of Moses ben Enoch, whom was appointed by Hasdai. Like Hasdai, he excelled in languages and studied Hebrew, Arabic and Latin, for certain. It is said that he wrote a letter in seven different languages at some point in his life. He was to become a grammarian, poet and Arabic calligrapher. It was for these talents that a slave of  vizier, Abu al-Kasim ibn al-‘Arif employed him for writing and calligraphy. When the vizier happened upon some of these writings made for the slave, Samuel came to work as this vizier’s secretary. On Abu’s death bed, he informed the king that his Jewish secretary was his “man behind the man.” The king elevated Samuel to hold the title of vizier for himself. In 1037, this king died. Luckily for Samuel the son which succeeded him retained Samuel. In 1055, he died and Joseph ibn naghrela, his son took over his position in Spain.
            Hasdai ibn Shaprut and Samuel Ha-Nagid both had fathers who ensured they would be well educated. Both learned Hebrew, Arabic and Latin. Both were grammarians and Poets who either began or concluded their life in Cordova, Spain. Both of these men rose to have a hand in the affairs of a Muslim government. Both of these Jewish men made their mark in Diaspora history of the Sephardic world. Of course, as a calligrapher, Samuel did so both literally and figuratively.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Youtube channels-from moderate left to far and alt right

This is, as the post title states, a list of youtubers that right wingers watch. I don't think anyone else has made a list, so I did. There are a small number of moderate left wingers' channels that are included because they cover moderate left to moderate right issues. I'm adding some notes based on what I know. I'm happy to add to this list just leave a comment or Gab me .  Just a note that I include notes if someone is black or Hispanic because someone scanning the list for someone to check out may want to check someone out based on that, such as a black person who may want to check out other black people who are youtubing.  I recently had a black friend who didn't believe me that there were black conservatives, so I pointed him at some of the youtubers I watch. *before a listing means that it's a creator I recommend, for those who are just getting started and want to only select a few creators to follow, like my channel . Groups *Acts17apologetics  ...

Obama's "accomplishments"

I saw this on FB. I know some are true because I remember them being in the papers. Disclaimer some might not be, if so, let me know in the comments. A LIST OF OBAMA’S ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS THE FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES: First President to apply for college aid as a foreign student, then deny he was a foreigner. First President to have a social security number from a state he has never lived in. First President to preside over a cut to the credit-rating of the United States. First President to violate the War Powers Act. First President to be held in contempt of court for illegally obstructing oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. First President to require all Americans to purchase a product from a third party. First President to spend a trillion dollars on “shovel-ready” jobs when there was no such thing as “shovel-ready” jobs. First President to abrogate bankruptcy law to turn over control of companies to his union supporters. First President to by-pass Congress and ...

The 3 Sections Of The Political Right Wing

When I first heard the term "Alt-Right" and googled it, what I found talked about being it a new right wing movement, younger and less religious than the previous right wingers, as well as being more online and fans of Donald Trump. I thought, "that's me!" However as time progressed I realized that was not an accurate description of the alt-right and that I am not on the alt-right. There is so much confusion as to whom should be called alt-right. This confusion not only comes from the leftwing lamestream media, but even exists on the right. This blog post describes the right wing divided into 3 unequal sections, with names and explanations of their similarities and differences. I came to find out there is actually a website called alt-right. I took a look at it. The articles were ok, but the comments sections of those articles screamed out that this was not an online space for me. The most glaring issue was that the commenters there don't like Jews and ar...